Monday, November 1, 2010

sweat dreams

High School Students With A Delayed School Start Time Sleep Longer, Report Less Daytime Sleepiness
Mary B. O'Malley, MD, PhD, The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
What this article states is that a study as made about the time that students enter school; the earlier they entered the more they would fall asleep in school but if they entered a little bit after the students would be very active. This happened because students need more sleep to work better, at least 9 hours of sleep. As your age changes the time needed of sleep varies but for students it’s around 9 hours.
I believe that this article is very truthful because in the experiences I have had I work much better when I wake up later than normal, when I wake up to early I fell I do not work well because I am sleepy. Schools should take this in consideration; have late starts at least once a week to see if they see a change in the students.  
Delayed School Start Time Associated With Improvements in Adolescent Behaviors
Judith A. Owens, M.D., M.P.H., of the Hasbro Children's Hospital, Dr. Wahlstrom, The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by JAMA and Archives Journals.
To make the study of this article they made a late start to school in which the students would get more rest and more sleep. By doing this, they discovered that the behavior of the students changed a lot. The students were happier, not mad, and better health; the late start definitely benefited the students.
I agree with this article because of many reasons. First of all, when people don’t get enough sleep they are grumpy and mad because they want more time to sleep, that happens to me when I go to sleep to late and in the morning I am mad because I want to sleep more. Relating to health, if we don’t get enough sleep we fell very tired and feel we have no forces to do anything so that’s why we need to sleep well to feel good.

Being A Night Owl In High School Is Linked With Lower College GPA
Jennifer Peszka, PhD, psychology department chair at Hendrix College in Conway, Ark., The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
In this article they talk about at what time do the students make their homework and how does it affect their grades. They found out that the later in the day the students they do their work, the lower their grades or GPA for college will be.     
In my opinion, students who do their homework late at night get lower grades because they get less sleep and they need to sleep to function correctly and be active. At school the students need to be full of energy to do their work correctly. So the earlier you do your work, I agree it’s the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment